Monday, December 12, 2016

Finding Fiction Stories About Children Who Kill

CHILDREN WHO KILL


In my search to find other authors who write about children who kill, I’ve found that most authors who write on this topic seem to be more interested in writing non-fiction.  As you can notice from some of the titles in the column, there were actually some pretty notorious children who kill.  With modern day shootings like Columbine and more, there is no shortage of factual events for those who prefer research to imagination.

 
Authors who do chose to write from a fictional perspective have managed to do a really good job of scaring the crap out of readers, when it comes to the child character’s sinister behavior. 

When I think of the sinister aspect of children who kill, I know my Deandra Baxter character pales in comparison.  There is absolutely nothing sinister about her, in spite of the various deaths that she’s responsible for.  I was beginning to worry that perhaps her character was a little too “normal”, until I saw an old Jodie Foster movie recently.  The movie is called “The Little Girl Who Lives Down the Lane”.   

This movie made me smile and feel good about my Skipping Childhood character again.  “Rynn” (the little girl in the movie) is another very good point of reference I can use whenever I discuss the Deandra character.  I’ve often referenced Rhoda Penmark (The Bad Seed), but I think Deandra is closer to being Rynn than she is to being Rhoda.  Have you seen either of these movies (they were both adapted from books).  You can do your own comparison.  Why not purchase a copy of Skipping Childhood:  A Novel (From Abused Foster Child to Adolescent Serial Killer) and see what you think.  

http://amzn.to/2giOLmx


No comments:

Post a Comment